Revised IAHP Program
It’s been a busy time since we landed back in Melbourne, getting the revised IAHP program in order. We have so much to share from our recent trip to America, but for now I’ll focus on our new IAHP program for the next 6 months:
- Respiratory Patterning Program (manual and automatic)
- Manual: 90 min’s per day
- Automatic: 9 hours (during sleep time)
- Floor time:
- as much as possible to give Chiara the opportunity to gain as much independent mobility as possible.
- incline floor gravity assisted (check her out in the short video, cutest!!)
- Medullary Reflex Program: 5 per day
- Initial Pattering Program: 6 patterns per day for 2 minute sessions
- Reading Program:
- 150 words per month
- 750 words by next visit
- 90 sentences in a month
- 450 sentences by next visit
- 8 home-made books monthly
- 12 books per month ideal
- 40 home-made books by next visit
- 30 per day
- 40 seconds per mask with 5 minute intervals
- daily nutrition program and liquid balance as per our normal program. We have seen phenomenal changes with her diet alone!
The Respiratory Program
One of the main factors of poor function in brain-injured children is their compromised respiratory system. So we aim to deliver adequate oxygen to Chiara’s brain via the masking, manual respiratory and the new automatic respiratory machine.
The purpose of the respiratory program is to send the message to the brain “this is how it feels to breathe” and to increase oxygen to the brain and body. The new machine will be part of her revised program to improve respiration, chest growth, mobility & language. The respiratory program also improves vision, auditory, tactility, manual competence, chewing and swallowing, sleeping and less drooling – all of which Chiara has issues with. So in other words, overall improved neurological function is the goal.
The wonderful news from our recent trip is Chiara’s neurological age has increased to 12 months old!!! She has made some positive gains in her sensory program – now we are working hard on helping her mobility and respiration.
We’ll be organising lots of fundraising events in the upcoming months, stay tuned! So if you can help out with an event, weather it is helping to secure a venue for a dinner or luncheon, entertainment, items to be auctioned, bike rides, runs or anything else please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thanks again for our incredible community of people helping Chiara on her journey, it means the world to us. Love Nat & Mauro xo